Wednesday, October 24, 2007

tried out the 40D

I tried the Canon 40D yesterday for some portraits and a private event (the Philips Aurea launch, the super TV for super elites eh?. Used the 24-70 2.8L. Well the lens I have used before, and its just awesome, no surprises there (see picture below).

The experience with the camera itself was pretty cool and its loaded with features. Obviously live view was quite helpful specially for the event and the screen is really big! like really big. The shutter sound is quite muffled, in fact the "click" actually sounds pretty sophisticated with the two way motorized mechanism for the mirror. I was using it with the battery grip so not sure how it would feel with just the camera itself. But overall I think it was a much better experience in terms of usage AND for image quality out of 350D, 400D, 20D and 5D so far. Yep I do prefer it over 5D. The noise level is better than 5D even at ISO 800! I think its the Digic III which is giving 40D the slight edge in noise level. Will be uploading more later in the week.


http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6563518

Oh yea, the girl with THE eyes is Mischa, she's french Canadian. Really cute and silly! The granulated affect on the skin and the "eye-bag effect" is from bit dramatic light and sharpening. I know chicks like to have their skin look smooth, but as photographer, i dunno, I like the effect it gives with the texture (well in pictures of course! as in to see not to touch, you know what i mean?)


Bilal Zaheer

http://elanist.com/bilal

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! We already know you are a brilliant photographer... So the portrait is no surprise ;~)

I did try the 40D at the launch here in Singapore, great camera with some cool features.

I dunno if its noise levels are better than 5D, if its the Digic III doing the magic then it might be eating away some of the fine details that cannot be noticed unless you blow it up to 200%

Any ways, Love your work...

Cheers!